/

The Magistrate's Blog (2005-2012)

This blog has migrated to www.magistratesblog.blogspot.co.uk This blog is anonymous, and Bystander's views are his and his alone. Where his views differ from the letter of the law, he will enforce the letter of the law because that is what he has sworn to do. If you think that you can identify a particular case from one of the posts you are wrong. Enough facts are changed to preserve the truth of the tale but to disguise its exact source.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Near London, United Kingdom

The blog is written by a retired JP, with over 30 years' experience on the Bench.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Family Values

I heard the other day on the gossip circuit that some prospective magistrates have been asked at interview what they would do if they found that their child had been using cannabis. Apparently the 'correct' answer is that you should report them to the police.
Well, if I had been asked that at my interview all those years ago, you wouldn't be reading this now. I am glad that my son and daughter, who are now in their thirties, have never, to my knowledge at least, been involved in the drug scene, although it would not be surprising if they had taken the odd puff at university - I just don't know and I don't want to know. What I do know is that if I had found my child to be in possession of any kind of drug, getting the police involved would be a long way down my list of options. The ideal way to deal with this at the lower level - and I am not talking about dealing Class A - is within the family. It is no criticism of the police to say that their procedures can lack the subtlety and delicacy that this situation would call for. I am just thankful that I never had to make such a decision.

http://parkingattendant.blogspot.com/http://www.crimeline.info/