/

The Magistrate's Blog (2005-2012)

This blog has migrated to www.magistratesblog.blogspot.co.uk This blog is anonymous, and Bystander's views are his and his alone. Where his views differ from the letter of the law, he will enforce the letter of the law because that is what he has sworn to do. If you think that you can identify a particular case from one of the posts you are wrong. Enough facts are changed to preserve the truth of the tale but to disguise its exact source.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Near London, United Kingdom

The blog is written by a retired JP, with over 30 years' experience on the Bench.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Softies

We imposed a community penalty a little while ago, and included a curfew order, enforced by a tag. "Excuse me" said the defendant after I had announced the sentence. "When does the curfew start?" "8 o'clock tonight" I said. "Oh. Is there any chance you could make it start tomorrow night, sir?" "Why?" I enquired. "Well, sir it's my birthday today....." I looked at the listing sheet in front of me and there was his date of birth. I glanced at my colleagues, both of whom were smiling at the sheer cheek of it. I gave him a long look. "All right, tomorrow it is then".

Of course we should have stood firm for the punishment to begin straight away, but we all felt the same human response to his request. I don't think any harm was done.

http://parkingattendant.blogspot.com/http://www.crimeline.info/